<$BlogRSDURL$>
Fresh Paint
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
 
In Freeking Credible
Watch my head explode:

Bush Plan Would Cut Survivor Benefit
WASHINGTON - If President Bush gets his way, the venerable $255 Social Security death benefit [ed. can't even bury a dog with that] will fade into history. And 16- and 17-year-old high school dropouts will lose their monthly survivor payments. [ed. !!?&*^%!!!]

Not, however, if Democrats get their way.[ed. I can't believe an AP story actually said this. Bet it'll get cut.]

"The Republican Congress has given a whole new meaning to the term 'women and children first,'" Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel (news, bio, voting record), chairman of the House Democratic campaign committee, said Tuesday.
Listen, folks. The reason why these kids drop out is that the survivor benefits aren't enough to live on as it is. I know (tho admit I wasn't a dropout). This is what my family lived on when I was growing up. My dad didn't make enough as a teacher to support 2 sets of grandparents (plus me, of course).

Good morning, folks. Man, am I steamed.
Children who have lost a parent need every assistance and encouragement we can provide, and everything the federal government can do to encourage them to stay in school and get an education makes it that much more likely that they can succeed," said Scott Milburn, a spokesman at the Office of Management and Budget.

"Linking benefits to school attendance provides that encouragement and is, in fact, currently the rule for 19-year-olds. We think more children can be helped by lowering that age to 16," he said.
Black is white, up is down, yes is no, help is a slap in the face. Do they even believe this shit?

The compassion of compassionate conservatism is breathtaking.

I think more people can be helped if we don't squander our money in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. etc.

I think more people can be helped if poor people don't have to shoulder the burden of tax breaks for the rich.

I think more people can be helped if we kick their sorry, Republican asses out of office ASAP.

Unfortunately, 16 and 17-yr old orphans can't vote. But if you're 18 you can. So get registered to vote NOW.


--- Back to Main Page ---


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Site Meter