<$BlogRSDURL$>
Fresh Paint
Wednesday, July 28, 2004
 
The Big Stump
I didn't cry, but I believe him.

John Edwards's ordinary campaign speech is mesmerizing, and during the dark winter primary days, made a lot of people think change really might happen. But, boy, did he have some powerful big dogs he had to follow -- Gore, Carter, Clinton, and Obama, each of whom made me weep like a little girl.

Maybe it's a good thing I didn't get all soggy this time, so I did listen. The guy is so relentlessly upbeat, genuinely so -- he's not a phony -- which, as you've probably figured out, is pretty alien to my typically snarky and cynical nature -- that I had problems connecting, in the way I never did with the others, who have known dark sides, and complex mysteries in their heads.

I actually liked what his wife Elizabeth, whom I hadn't seen much of before, had to say, and her hips looked a lot more like mine than mine will ever look like John Edwards's. If he had a different, slimmer, blonder wife, I wouldn't take him seriously at all. Sad, really.

But you don't want to hear spin, even if it's spin from a Democrat. I like Edwards a lot, and he will be a fabulous Vice President. I can't remember where I read it, maybe over at Jesse and Ezra's place, the suggestion that the first and second ladies should debate. What a deliciously evil idea! Lynne against Elizabeth, Laura against Teresa. T would wipe the floor with L just by moving her eyebrow a millimeter. I am such a fan of hers.

Will upload the beach scene tomorrow, perhaps. Every snap I took of it tonight had too much oil glare, even without a flash, so should let it dry a little.

Will probably be out at parties tomorrow night too -- god, what will I do for a social life once this election year is over? -- but then, so will you, most likely. So maybe we'll all hook up again on Friday, hung over, but happy.


--- Back to Main Page ---


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Site Meter