<$BlogRSDURL$>
Fresh Paint
Thursday, February 03, 2005
 
Feeling Insecure
Others out there are more eloquent and less burned out than I am. All I can say is that this administration is radical, activist, and as far from conservative as I can imagine. I feel like such an old fuddy-duddy when I just want 1) not to have to eat dog food when I'm old, or 2) not to live in a homeless shelter, or 3) worse. I want Bush to live on Social Security alone as it now stands, and then imagine living on 40 percent less.

And what, pray, is he proposing for Survivor's Benefits? A season on Survivor? Sounds like it. I am a beneficiary of these benefits (as was my sister). My mother died when I was very young, and my family needed the few hundred dollars SS provided to support us and grandparents and a household. Later, it was all I had to live on when I was in college (I had a full scholarship, luckily -- thank you State of New York). All this so I could make a living myself and pay into Social Security to fund current and future needs.

I get it. You don't know what the future will bring. Everyone needs a safety net.

You, of course, all know how I feel about El Presidente, enough so that, like some of his Rapture-Ready cohorts and Hillary Clinton, I try to avoid listening to the devil's voice in him as much as possible (yes, I know this sounds insane, but I don't care). So I didn't watch the address last night knowing that I'd get more than I could stomach just flipping channels for the next week or so.

Did check in with the BBC World News broadcast, however, where luckily the U.S. is just one country they cover. And it was delightful to hear all the Democrats booing the speech, the first time I can recall it ever happening. I know they do these things in other countries, but here? Gracious! I'm surprised they haven't all been thrown in jail by now -- though I'm sure Rove will find a way to use it to blackmail them.

But have no fear, O my representatives! If you stand firm for us we will stand firm for you.

Booo!!! Booo!!!

And now back to art...


--- Back to Main Page ---


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Site Meter