<$BlogRSDURL$>
Fresh Paint
Thursday, June 09, 2005
 
Nancy Drew Goes Exploring
It may look like the old mill where Nancy and Bess and George find an old diary with a secret map leading to an adventure suitable for children (see below). But when this Nancy went exploring she started to understand what CSI is really all about.

A nice old couple used to live in this house until they were more or less forced out by the "developer" who bought it and then tried to buy up all the surrounding property, so that a mega mall or a sulfuric acid factory or maybe a 50 story condo project could be built after they tore everything down (all our nice 100 year old houses).

I know the old folks didn't leave this behind, the first thing I saw on my journey inside:



Or this:



Or even this:



I have more. Some gang stuff, but mostly just bizarre phrases and drawings. Very very creepy.

You can't imagine the stench. Like a pit of death, where the bodies are still moist with putrefaction and urine. I am tempted to call the police and ask them to check things out, though I believe city inspectors do a walk thru before demolition. Whatever had been there is now dead. Very.

And black and lightless. I realized I was exploring by the light of the camera flash. Not good. And alone, with no Bess and George, or even useless Ned.

So came home to post these, lest we start romanticizing (as we started to do in comments) about what an abandoned building looks like.

What really bothers me about this is that all this was happening 15 feet from my house, with a school around the corner, and I was oblivious to it.

I have to wash my shoes now, because they smell like whatever I was walking on. And then I have to take a shower.


--- Back to Main Page ---


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Site Meter