<$BlogRSDURL$>
Fresh Paint
Thursday, September 04, 2008
 
The Banana Bread Recipe
Have been asked for it so many times, so here goes:

DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN!!

2 or 3 very ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 cups flour (regular or whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar (more or less)

Beat the eggs in a big bowl until frothy. Add the banana. If you're a purist, you should sift the dry ingredients together before adding, but I never do and it turns out just fine. Have just started using whole wheat flour instead of regular unbleached flour and I like the results better -- seems heartier, and sticks by you.

OK. Now for the suggested additions:

An unmeasured amount of pretty much anything in the icebox or on the shelf.

For example:

walnuts
sunflower seeds
chopped apple, peach, pear, etc.
grated carrot
leftover cooked zucchini
nearly rotten tomato
frozen mulberries from my tree
some peanut butter
cinnamon
honey
molasses
dates
raisins
etc.

You can do up to about a cup, maybe a bit more, of any combination of the above. The bananas are quite bland without adding sugar. I've used less sugar and pretended it was a sandwich bread. Tastes good with tuna/egg salad.

OK. NOW set the oven to 350 degrees. Pour the batter into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake for between 50 minutes and an hour. Is done if a knife comes out clean.

You will notice immediately that this is a NON-FAT recipe. I am not lying. Since I keep my sticks of butter wrapped up in the freezer, I have to soften enough in a tiny bowl in the microwave to grease the pan. If there's extra, I add it to the batter.

That's it!

UPDATE: I would have posted this an hour ago except the transformer behind my house blew up and the entire block went dark. Thank you, remnants of Gustav! And thank you, Blogger autosave!

Labels:



--- Back to Main Page ---


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Site Meter